Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Frugal Quote

I love when a quote just stays with you and can continue to mean something everytime it comes into your life. I was reminded of a quote last night by Dwight D. Eisenhower:

"Some people wanted champagne and caviar when they should have had beer and hot dogs" 

Nothing better then a good presidential quote to remind you to stay frugal. 

Over the past few weeks, I have struggled with financial decisions on an emotional level. It is difficult to choose to save or pay off loans rather then spend funds on going out or upcoming trips. Being sure to adjust your budget for lifes adventures, but at the same time remembering your overall financial goals. 

Balancing my "Champaign and Caviar" wants with my ambition to save is a tough road full of daily road potholes and detoures. How you deal with these decisions can impact your overall mental and fiscal well being. 

So to all of those out there making tough financial decisions, throw a few hot dogs on the grill and a few beers in the fridge. Saving money or paying off student loans now will allow you to have funding later for lifes wants. 

I was also reminded last night that instant gratification can be exciting and provide immeditate satisfaction, but it is more important to learn how to save for lifes adventures one $20 or $50 at a time. Create a travel or gift budget line in your monthly budget and account for lifes unexpected opportunities. 

You are able to fully enjoy going on vacation or that nice dinner knowing that you're not paying for your current life with future paychecks.  I guess I am still learning to live within my means day by day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment